Strong friendships and connections play a vital role in our lives today. So much so that new words have been created to describe such partnerships. One new word that’s gained popularity over the years is “bromance,” which we use to highlight a close male friendship.
But it goes beyond that simple definition. So, let’s have a look at the history of the meddled word and see the proper way you should be using it.
Bromance Meaning Explained
“Bromance” is what we call a portmanteau in the English language. It’s a mix of the words “bro” or “brother” and “romance.” We use it to describe a close, usually non-sexual friendship formed between two men. They often have strong emotional bonds and mutual support between them.
A bromance usually involves some shared interests and a deep understanding of each other’s lives, resulting in an unbreakable connection.
Some good examples would be the bromance between Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder from The Vampire Diaries or Sam Heughan and Graham McTavish from one of my favorite shows Outlander. Plus, we can’t forget Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Patrick Stewart from X-Men.
The Etymology of the Word Bromance
The word “bromance” is a relatively recent addition to the English language. The blend of the words “brother” and “romance” was coined by Dave Carnie, the editor of a skateboard magazine called Big Brother. He used the term to describe deep connections between certain male skateboarders.
Is Bromance a Real Word?
Yes, absolutely. “Bromance” is considered an actual word in the English language, according to most dictionaries like Merriam-Webster. Some people consider it slang and an informal term to use, but I promise it’s a real word.
What Is the Female Equivalent of Bromance?
The female equivalent of “bromance” is often referred to as “womance.” It describes a deep bond between two women, using the words “woman” and “romance” to create “womance.” But some other more common terms are bestie, BFF, soul sister, etc.
- Close friendship
- Male bonding
Using Bromance in a Sentence
- The two actors from The Vampire Diaries developed a strong bromance after working together on several seasons and even went on to launch their own brand of bourbon.
- My brother has been best friends with the neighbor since kindergarten. Their bromance was evident, and they supported each other through thick and thin.
- The long-lasting bromance between the popular rock musicians led to successful collaborations and a deep understanding of each other’s talents, so they complement each other well.
- The two childhood friends shared a bromance that grew stronger over the years.
- I just love seeing platonic bromance between older men and watching toxic masculinity melt away.
Do You Have a Bromance?
So, if you’re a guy with a best friend you’d do anything for and know everything about, then you’ve got yourself a bromance! Portmanteaus are so much fun and give us ways to play around with the English language so we can communicate even more.