Suppose you’ve heard someone being accused of being asleep at the wheel. In that case, you probably assume that the accuser is genuinely concerned about the person’s driving habits. Don’t worry, I’m here to shed some light on this idiom, where it came from and how to properly use it in a sentence.
Asleep at the Wheel Meaning
To be asleep at the wheel doesn’t literally mean that someone is napping while driving. It’s a metaphorical expression that means someone isn’t paying attention when they should be or isn’t doing their job properly. It can also mean that someone is negligent or unaware of important events happening around them.
Sleeping at the Wheel or Asleep at the Switch
Asleep at the switch is another colloquial idiom similar to asleep at the wheel, and both mean a lack of alertness or attention to duties.
While asleep at the wheel originates from driving and vehicle operation, asleep at the switch is a railroad term. But they both carry the same message of neglect and can usually be used interchangeably.
I had a brief stint working in a deli once. One day, I was using the big slicing machine to cut up some meats and completely spaced out while doing it. I ended up cutting my finger pretty badly, and I remember my manager saying that I couldn’t operate the slicer while asleep at the wheel!
Origin and Etymology of Sleeping at the Wheel
The idiom asleep at the wheel originated from the simple and dangerous reality of falling asleep while driving, which can obviously lead to serious accidents. The phrase then took on a broader, metaphorical meaning. Now, we use it to describe anyone not adequately doing their duty or not paying attention to what’s important.
Synonyms for Asleep at the Wheel
Here are some synonyms to help you understand the expression better and to avoid repeating the same phrase.
- Out to lunch
- Off guard
- Not on the ball
Asleep at the Wheel Examples in a Sentence
- Our project failed because the team leader was asleep at the wheel.
- My son’s coach was asleep at the wheel during the match, which is what led to the team’s loss.
- Despite the warning signs, the company was asleep at the wheel and didn’t notice the obvious market changes.
- Candace was asleep at the wheel while operating the meat slicer and cut the tip off her finger.
- We can’t afford to be asleep at the wheel regarding our children’s education, especially today.
- The government seems to be asleep at the wheel in responding to the economic crisis happening before our very eyes.
- The security guard was asleep at the switch when the thieves broke into the building.
Stay Alert, Stay Informed
Just like staying alert while actually driving is crucial, being aware and informed in all aspects of life is also important. The phrase asleep at the wheel is a gentle reminder to always pay attention to whatever you’re doing and be responsible for your duties.