Does a balloon expend or expand as you blow air into it? Do you expend or expand money when you buy new shoes?
These verbs may sound the same but have different definitions. Learn what expend and expand mean in this article with my breakdown and sentence examples.
The Difference Between Expend and Expand
Both expend and expand are verbs. But they have entirely different meanings in the English language. One means to spend, while the other means to increase in size.
This Ngram shows that expand is more commonly used than expend.
What Does Expend Mean?
The definition of expend is to spend or use up. We use this term when discussing resources, such as time, energy, or money.
Its conjugations include expended, will expend, is expending, expends, and more.
What Can I Say Instead of Expend?
Here are some synonyms for expend.
- Lay out
- Pay out
- Dole out
- Go through
- Spend like water
Examples of Expend in a Sentence
- The company had to expend a lot of resources to launch the new product.
- She expended a lot of energy trying to finish the project on time.
- The government will have to expend extra funds to cover the cost of the program.
- He expended a lot of effort to learn the new skill.
- They had to expend a lot of time and money to complete the renovation.
- She expended a lot of energy during the marathon, but managed to finish in a good time.
- The country had to expend a lot of resources on the war effort.
- He expended a ton of energy trying to impress her.
What Does Expand Mean?
Expand is also a verb, which means to become or make larger. In physics, to expand is to undergo a continuous change based on theory. It can also mean to give a fuller version of something.
Its conjugations include expanded, will expand, expands, is expanding, and more.
What Can I Say Instead of Expand?
Here are some synonyms for expand.
- Increase in size
- Become distended
- Become larger
- Puff out
What Is the Noun Form of Expand?
Expansion is the noun form of the word expand. It refers to the action of being larger or more extensive.
Examples of Expand in a Sentence
- The company plans to expand its business into new markets.
- She expanded her knowledge by taking additional classes.
- The government wants to expand the public transportation system.
- He expanded his mind by reading different books and articles.
- They expanded their family by adopting another child.
- The company expanded its product line to include new items.
- She expanded her vocabulary by studying a new language.
- The company wants to expand its operations by building a new facility.
- He expanded his horizons by traveling to different countries.
- They expanded their customer base by reaching out to new demographics.
Expand and Expend Are Different
Now you know the huge difference between expand and expend. Aside from the single vowel distinction, expend means to spend, while expand means to increase in size.
If you need help remembering the difference, remember that expend with an e means spend with an e.