Is it blind side or blindside? What is a blind side? And what does it mean to be blindsided? So many questions about this term might run through your mind. But I’m here to clarify everything. Keep reading to learn the definition and difference between blind side and blindside.
Blind Side vs. Blindside
Blind side and blindside are two different but closely related words. That means both spellings are correct, depending on their usage.
- Blind side is a noun that means a direction where a person has a poor view.
- Blindside is a verb that means to attack someone from the side where they are not looking. It can also mean to befuddle.
Some people use the two words interchangeably. That’s because open compound words with a space between them eventually shift into one word as they become more commonly used.
This image shows an Ngram of blind side vs. blindside. It reveals that blind side with a space is still more popular than the single-word blindside.
Blind Side Meaning
Blind side is a noun that means the direction where a person does not see correctly. This side is where one’s vision is limited or obstructed.
Blindside as a closed compound word means to attack a person from a side where their vision is limited.
Another meaning of blindside refers to catching someone by surprise. We typically use this verb in a competitive or cooperative sense.
Where Does the Phrase Blind Side Come From?
Blind side’s literal and figurative usage comes from the sports rugby or American football. The blind side is the opposite of the open side where most offenses are done.
Using Blindside in Sentences
Here are some examples of blind side in sentences.
- Lenovo, the world’s largest PC manufacturer which has been hit hard by a sharp decline in computer sales, is making layoffs. Workers were “blindsided right before Christmas,” one said. (WRAL TechWire)
- T.J. Holmes’ wife was “blindsided” by his alleged affair with his “GMA3” co-anchor Amy Robach, an insider tells Page Six exclusively. (Page Six)
Using Blind Side in Sentences
Here are some examples of blindside in sentences.
- C.J. Stroud made second team on the AFCA list. Yet it was his top receiver and the man protecting his blind side who piled up the most postseason recognition this year. (Cleveland)
- “I wasn’t trying to hit him in the head. That wasn’t my goal,” Neal said. “My goal was to get the sack with force, obviously. It’s football. It’s a physical sport … It wasn’t his blind side. (NBC Sports)
- Australia’s blind side has had a tough start to the tournament – the side has lost three times so far, but has also picked up a win. Although they lost both opening matches, the side fought hard. (Bayside News)
Alternatives to Blindside
Here are some synonyms and similar words for blindside as a verb that means to befuddle.
- Blow away
Here are some synonyms and similar words for blindside as a verb that means to attack someone from the side where they are not looking.
Blind Side and Blindside Are Correct
Hopefully, my guide has helped you learn the definition and difference between blind side vs. blindside.
Blind side and blindside both talk about an invisible direction. To memorize the difference, just remember that the phrase with a space is a noun, while the closed compound word is a verb.